Cross Country Ski Officials (TD) Seminar
West Yellowstone, Montana
Wednesday, Nov. 26-29 at the Yellowstone Ski Festival
The USSA Cross Country Officials Sub-committee is sponsoring a seminar for Technical Delegates and TD Candidates in conjunction with the Yellowstone Ski Festival and the first SuperTour races of the season during Thanksgiving Week.
Holding a seminar this year during the YSF is designed to (a) make it convenient for those attending the Festival week to update their knowledge and skills, whether TD’s, prospective TD’s or OC members / race volunteers; and (b) build a seminar around actual races (rather than in the abstract before the race season) to highlight Jury work in action.
The seminar’s coinciding with the Yellowstone Ski Festival is intended to make it convenient for:
Those interested in becoming race officials to get introduced to the role and prepared to take on a first assignmentundefinedeven this coming season if interested.
Race volunteers to increase their knowledge of the rules and race procedures to be of greater value to their local clubs in hosting races. [NOTE: Every local club hosting races should have at least one person trained to serve as Assistant TD (TDA), to save the club the cost of bring both TD and TDA from outside the area to officiate at races.]
Those who are already race officials who need to meet their TD continuing education requirementsundefinedthat is, attending a seminar at least every two years to keep their USSA Officials certification current.
The seminar has 3 components:
1. Classroom Instruction: Wednesday, November 26 (the day before Thanksgiving) 9:00 to 5:30 with a midday break from noon to 2:00 for lunch and some skiing. The focus of the seminar will be the basics of Jury Work and Competition Formats.
2. Jury Meetings: Seminar participants will be attend:
1. Team Captains Meetings (TCM) at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday, to understand the roles of the TD and Chief of Competition; and
2. Jury Meetings to practice cooperative interaction with the Competition Committee and the decision-making process.
3. Competition Committee Practical: Participants will assist the local OC in setting up and running the races on Friday and Saturday, in roles that serve their own learning objectives, with after-action debriefs to assess performance and determine best practices.
The Wednesday classroom sessions, TCM, debrief sessions and Jury Meetings not held in the field will be at the Chamber of Commerce Building, 30 Yellowstone Ave in West Yellowstone.
HOW DO I REGISTER?
Registrations: Register by email to Carlie Casey <firstname.lastname@example.org> including your name, mailing address and cell phone number you will have with you in West Yellowstone. Please also indicate whether you are (a) wanting to become a TD / join the Officials group, (b) are considering TD work but are unsure yet, or (c) a race volunteer wanting to advance your knowledge and skills but not become a TD.
Fee for the seminar is $25 to defray costs of materials and presenter expenses. Mail your checks payable to: Carlie Casey, PO Box 197, Bethel Maine 04217. Sorry, but we have no way to take a credit card payment or PayPal. Please note on your check: “USSA TD Seminar”.
ASAP, please, but no later than Wednesday, Nov 19, so we can produce sufficient handouts and plan activities accordingly.
Spokane Nordic is committed to creating, developing and delivering programs to foster Nordic skiing
within the greater Spokane Community through efforts of organization, advocacy, and communication.
Spokane Nordic Ski Association is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
P.O. Box 501, Spokane, WA, 99210